Spring is now in full swing, which means it is the perfect time to roll up your sleeves and tackle important home maintenance tasks. Your home has been through a lot these past few months, being exposed to tough winter conditions. By giving it the full attention it deserves, you make it comfortable and ready for the summer. The great thing about spring is that it offers mild and pleasant temperatures to motivate you into restoring your home’s aesthetic appeal and functionality.
But where should you begin? How do you know which projects to prioritize? To help you get started, we take a look at the best home maintenance tasks to complete this spring.
Roof Repair and Maintenance
It’s easy enough to think that your roof is invincible and will continue to weather literally any storm even after many years of elemental exposure. Unfortunately, every time the area you live in faces inclement weather, it sustains damage. The fact that this damage isn’t always obvious can sway you into believing that your roof is okay just by looking at it.
For your roof to remain reliable and functional, it needs to be properly and regularly maintained. Ideally, a roof inspection is done at least twice a year: in spring and fall. However, in case of heavy rains, hailstorms, tornadoes and the like, be sure to inspect your roof as soon as the weather clears. If your roof is over 10 years old, consider inspecting it every year.
Here are some of the tips to keep in mind when it comes to roof maintenance:
- Perform a visual inspection – This helps you learn more about your roof’s overall condition. Using a pair of binoculars, check the roof’s surface, looking out for signs of wear and tear on shingles like buckling, curling or blistering. Pay close attention to caulking, flashings, vent pipes, soffit and other important roofing components. You can also get up into the attic and examine the roof structure from underneath.
- Trim overhanging tree branches – Do this before the branches touch your roof or break off and cause damage. Also, the leaves and branches can cover parts of your roof, preventing them from completely drying after a heavy downpour. Eventually, moisture can accumulate in these areas, expediting your roof’s deterioration.
- Keep your roof clean – Have your roof cleaned regularly to make sure it is free of moss, mold and mildew.
Whether you find something out of the ordinary on your roof after a visual inspection or just need peace of mind that your roof is still in good condition, get in touch with a professional roofing contractor in your area. With their expertise, the local pros can discover which areas of your roofing system require attention and recommend an immediate repair.
Siding Repair or Replacement
A home’s exterior siding brings life to otherwise bland exterior walls, improving its curb appeal immensely. Like your roof, however, it can get damaged due to exposure to the elements. When there’s damage, you have the opportunity to have it repaired immediately. There will also come a time when it needs to be replaced.
When inspecting your siding this spring, take note of the following signs that tell you a repair or replacement is due:
- Rotting and warping – Rotted or warped siding panels need to be repaired as soon as possible. However, these signs could also indicate that the siding material has reached or exceeded its service life, so you may want to consider replacing it instead.
- Mold and mildew growth – Long-term moisture exposure can cause mold and mildew buildup on your siding. If not addressed right away, it not only makes your home look unsightly, but these issues can also pose serious health risks.
- Frequent painting – Siding doesn’t always require repainting. However, if yours tends to fade fast, it can be a sign that the material itself isn’t holding up anymore. Considering having it replaced with a more durable and longer lasting siding material.
- Peeling interior paint or wallpaper – Peeling paint or wallpaper is a sign that your exterior siding is no longer protecting your home as effectively as it did in the past. Moisture could be seeping through the panels and into your interior.
It’s best to hire a home improvement contractor that specializes in siding repair and replacement. In case the pros recommend the latter, they can help you decide the best replacement, taking your home’s architectural style and your budget into consideration. Vinyl and fiber cement siding are two popular choices among homeowners. They can also guide you in matching your chosen replacement siding with the rest of your home.
Gutter Cleaning and Maintenance
Are your gutters still in good shape? Like your roof and your siding, they also need to be maintained properly for them to last longer. Check out these tips to ensure the proper function of these important home components:
- Check for installation mistakes – If your gutter system is fairly new, be sure to inspect it this spring. Installation mistakes can prevent it from draining water properly, putting your home and your landscaping in danger. Standing water can impact the gutter material and construction, resulting in its failure. Check if the hangers are incorrectly spaced or if the gutters are pitched the wrong way.
- Perform inspections – Seasonal gutter inspections will help you spot damage early. Most damage starts small, like a hole or a crack, but can quickly worsen if not addressed immediately. After this spring, be sure to do this again in the summer, particularly weeks before the fall season begins.
- Clean your gutters – Inspecting your gutters isn’t enough. If you see some leaves, twigs and other debris collecting in them, make sure to remove these as soon as possible. Leaving your gutters clogged can result in costly water damage to your home’s exterior and landscaping.
- Invest in a gutter protection system – If gutter cleaning is something you dread whenever spring rolls around, consider investing in gutter protection. These so-called gutter guards are designed to protect your gutter system from leaves and other debris. They’re installed on top of gutters, so when water runoff occurs, the debris doesn’t get inside.
The next time you need a roofer, why not choose a locally owned company that also specializes in other exterior home improvement projects? At AQ Roofing LLC, we do just that! Since 2013, we have been offering high-quality products and top-notch roofing and home exterior improvement services to Central Arkansas homeowners. For us, protecting your investment matters. So, if you need to give your home a fresh start this spring or at any other time of the year, don’t hesitate to contact us!
Call (501) 951-1683 to learn more about our roofing, gutter, soffit, fascia and siding services. You may also fill out our contact form to request an estimate.